MAACCE is pleased to be able to offer a variety of scholarships, awards and grants to individuals and organizations working or studying in adult education programs in Maryland. MAACCE members may nominate candidates for any of the following programs.
Awards are funded through a portion of MAACCE membership dues and contributions, and they are presented at the spring conference each year. Here’s a quick overview of what’s available:
MAACCE Annual Awards: A variety of recognition awards for adult education practitioners at all levels
Joseph P. DeSantis – Judy Costa Nagel Scholarship: Student scholarships for training or education
Joseph W. Zebley Grant: Funds for research in adult education
If you wish to contribute to the MAACCE scholarship fund, please write checks to “MAACCE” and send to MAACCE, PO Box 22379, Baltimore, MD 21203.
Outstanding contributions and achievements in the field of adult education are recognized each year at MAACCE’s spring conference. MAACCE invites its members to submit nominations for special recognition in the following categories. Nominations will be considered based on the standards listed below. Please note: Any award entry that contains more than 200 words will not be considered. Nominate outstanding individuals or groups to the MAACCE 2018 Awards by 4/23/2018.
Leadership Award (1 Award)
The MAACCE Leadership Award is to recognize leaders in the field of adult education, particularly in terms of administration, instruction, and/or assessment. Successful candidates will possess strengths in the following areas:
- Must be in the field of Adult Education a minimum of 5 years.
- Must be in a leadership role at least one year.
- Contributes significantly to the local program.
- Contributes to programs regionally/statewide.
- Maintains a high quality program.
- Manages resources wisely.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
Teacher/Instructor/Facilitator Award (1 Award)
The MAACCE Teacher/Instructor/Facilitator Award is to recognize instructional staff that contribute significantly to their local program in terms of student learning, growth, and retention. Successful candidates will possess strengths in the following areas:
- Use of various instructional strategies.
- Conducts professional development at the local or regional level.
- Advocates for student learning and growth.
- Contributes significantly to program outcomes.
- Recognized by the local program staff as being an asset to the program.
Assistant/Support Staff Award (1 Award)
The MAACCE Support Staff Award is to recognize support staff that contribute significantly to their local program in terms of maintaining the daily efficient operation of the program. Successful candidates will possess strengths in the following areas:
- Nominee must be a current or recent member of the support staff of an Adult Education program.
- Provide direct support to the staff, instructors, and/or students of the program.
- Demonstrate contribution to program activities that go above and beyond expectations.
- Contribute significantly to the outcomes of the program.
- Is a strong advocate for the students and/or program.
Partner Award (1 Award)
The MAACCE Partner Award is to recognize community, not-for-profit organizations, or businesses that partner with an Adult Education program. Successful candidates will possess strengths in the following areas:
- Be a current or recent (within the past year) partner with an Adult Education program.
- Provide vital support to the students, staff, or instructors of a program.
- Demonstrate numerous examples of collaboration that help students achieve success.
- Be committed to the goals of the program and its students.
- Is a strong advocate for the program in the community.
Volunteer Award (1 Award)
The MAACCE Volunteer Award is to recognize individuals that volunteer their time and energy to an Adult Education program. Successful candidates will possess strengths in the following areas:
- Be a current or recent (within the past year) volunteer with an Adult Education program.
- Provide services that help staff/instructors/students achieve their goals.
- Contribute significant time and energy to the program.
- Advocates for the program and/or the students of the program.
Student Award (Multiple Awards)
The MAACCE Student Award is to recognize students that have been enrolled in Adult Education programs within the current fiscal year. Successful candidates will possess strengths in the following areas:
- Be a current or former students (within the current fiscal year) of an Adult Education program.
- Demonstrate good attendance and commitment to learning.
- Overcome various obstacles in order to achieve success.
- Be a positive role model for other students.
- Achieve or actively working to achieve educational and career goal
Joseph P. DeSantis – Judy Costa Nagel Scholarship
Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation (DLLR) funded programs may apply for up to $500 per program for student scholarships for high school credentialing, ESOL/ESL/TOEFL/Citizenship instruction, or continuing education classes at a community college or vocational education program. Awarded annually as funds permit.
Joseph W. Zebley Grant
Teacher/Administrator grants of up to $400 are awarded to enable MAACCE members to undertake special projects that will contribute to the advancement of lifelong learning. Projects could include activities such as attending a national conference or conducting individual research. Awarded annually as funds permit.