2017 Postcard Campaign – Thank you for Participating!
Please Help With The MAACCE Governor Postcards! Each year, MAACCE members, students, and supporters send postcards to the Governor of Maryland to thank him for his support of adult education and to encourage necessary funding for adult education programs. This is more important than ever as federal funding has been flat and may be cut back further.
We encourage MAACCE members to ask colleagues, friends, etc. to complete a postcard and mail it. Each year, the Governor’s office takes note of our postcards and they note our commitment.
This year, our postcards will be yellow, and we are asking the Governor to increase state funding for adult education programs to make WIOA fulfill its full potential in Maryland. It would be great if the Governor’s office got more postcards than ever this year.
We ask for all postcards to be sent by January 10, 2018, but please send in as many as possible before the winter break. Your help is essential and deeply appreciated!
Let your voice be heard!
Avoid Cuts to Adult Education – Send a Letter/Email
Adult Education funding needs your help!
This message is to all Maryland voters, instructors, staff members, adult learners and graduates, volunteers, board members, adult literacy supporters, civic leaders, and businesses. Legislators learn what is important to their communities by hearing from their constituents. Emails or letters from adult learners and adult education supporters remind policy makers of their responsibility to respond to needs in their communities.
MAACCE asks you to join us as we work to educate the Maryland legislature about the importance of adult education in Maryland. There is talk of cutting adult education for FY2019. Please take 10 minutes and send an email/letter or call your representative and thank them for their support of adult education and ask them to save adult education funding for FY2019.
Click here for an outline for an email or letter that you can send to your representatives in the Maryland House and Senate. Feel free to tailor the message to fit your group (ASE/GED®, ESOL, ABE, Corrections, Family Literacy, etc.) if you have time. “Quality counts as much as quantity – Communications that include some unique information have significantly more impact on legislators’ decision-making than do identical form messages.” (Congressional Management Foundation, 2005) If you do not have time to edit, please cut and paste the message below. Seven emails is a “flood of responses” for legislators, so every letter counts.
Thank you for supporting adult education!
What to do:
Step 1: Find your legislature’s email and/or mailing address using this link.
House of Delegates: http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/06hse/html/hsedist.html and
Step 2: Add your voice to the letter. Legislatures need to hear:
– How literacy has impacted a learner’s life – why they joined, experiences in the program, what are they doing now as a result of a program?
– Instructors and staff members – What success have you seen? Why are you working in this field? Is everyone in your area being served or are there wait lists?
Step 3: Send or Mail your letter.
Step 4: Using the lesson plans and/or templates linked here, have your class write letters of their own and send them in.
WIOA is Here!
The MAACCE Board has prepared a statement in response to the new federal legislation that governs adult education and workforce development; you can find it here.
MAACCE Advocates for:
- Increased state and federal funding for Maryland, where the need is acute. Current total funding allows only 5% of those in need to be served through combined federal and state dollars allocated to approved state grantee programs and correctional education. Maryland currently invests only $213 per adult learner; the East Coast states’ average investment is $964. Federal funding has been level or slightly less for the past four years.
- Increased learner support at the programmatic level to include more comprehensive and flexible services. These need to include ESL, family literacy, life and job skill development, diploma achievement, transitions to post-secondary education, and skills enhancement for personal goal enrichment.
- Increased professional development, which is vital to continued program success. Research shows that quality teachers are key to achieving high learner outcomes.
- Opportunities to learn and grow – working with colleagues, developing their own skills, and increasing motivation – must continue to be a focal point of our attention and resources.
Download Quick Facts: Adult Education in Maryland and the Need for Additional Funding
Past Advocacy Activity
MAACCE Responds to the Workforce Creation and Adult Education Transition Council Report:
- The MAACCE Board of Directors supports the work of the Workforce Creation and Adult Education Transition Council and is in agreement with the spirit of the Council’s report for the benefit of adult learners in Maryland.
- As a partner, we are committed to further prioritizing and implementing the Council’s recommendations.
- We recognize that implementing the recommendations requires significant additional funding.
- We will continue to advocate for adequate support to continue and expand exemplary adult education services in Maryland.
Other Advocacy Information
Read the Report of the Superintendent’s Panel on Excellence in Adult Education
Stepping up to the Future
Find your Legislator / Maryland General Assembly Information – Alternately the general switchboard number is: 800-492-7122
Pick Your Candidate – A guide for adult learners about the process of making educated decisions at the polls